And they say motorcycling is dangerous.

Forgive the lack of motorcycle content…

Despite my admonitions after his last hospital adventure, my boy has decided that the ER is a fun place.

I got a phone call from Peter’s friend Steve at 2:30pm today saying that Peter had hurt himself while they were snowboarding. Long story short, his back is broken in two places. When I talked to Peter on the phone, he said that the MRIs didn’t show any nerve damage, so it shouldn’t be anything permanent. Personally, I think he just liked telling me that I have to wait on him hand and foot and help him into the hot tub a lot. šŸ˜‰

I’ll post an update when I have one — Peter and Steve are still on their way back from Lake Tahoe. There was some concern that he’d have to spend the night in the hospital, so I started heading up there, but luckily the doctors determined that he was stable, and sent him on his way with a nice big shot of morphine. Please send the big goof some happy thoughts to help cheer him up as the painkillers wear off. *eek*

This entry was posted in No Bike Content. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to And they say motorcycling is dangerous.

1. Alex says:

God DAMN. Peter, what in the name of the fuzzy peaches of narnia were you doing? Backflips? McTwists?
    Please tell me you wernt playing football down the slope with a frozen bottle of water!
    Keep your head up mate. I can think of worse people to wait on you hand and foot until your back is McFixed. šŸ™‚
    Happy thoughts Peter. Hope you heal soon. I’m sure that morphine took you on a nice trip!

2. Sampson says:

I’m truly sorry to hear about Peter’s accident.
    I’ll be thinking happy thoughts for him.

Now that he’s home and I have the full story, it really isn’t as bad as it sounds.
    It sounds like he went over a lip, got a bunch of air, and then landed on a wind-scoured patch with no snow. He landed correctly, but the impact compressed his spine and fractured two vertebrae.
    He’s actually a lot more mobile than either of us thought he’d be. As long as he keeps his back perfectly straight, he can sit up and even walk around pretty well, considering. šŸ™‚
    Thanks for the thoughts!

4. Japi ZZR says:

Too bad to hear that news. Hope he gets fine ASAP.

5. tony says:

I hope he heals quickly. Thanks for the update. I was confused about how he could break his back in two places, and yet manage to hobble around. When I think of broken backs, I picture body casts and and those wacky beds with the pulleys and ropes. (No, not the B&D variety) Let us know if we can do anything else to help. We have more quiche!

The best part is that the doctor says he may permanently be 1/8″ shorter! I told him to go out and do it again a few more times. šŸ˜‰

Arggggghhhhhh! Bloody ‘ell!
    If there’s anything I can do for you guys, like picking up prescriptions. etc etc – let me know. I know first-hand what the 24×7 nursing is like, so you just drop me a line or call.
    Linda

8. peter says:

I live! woo.
    Carolyn’s first comment sums it up nicely.
    I’m more bummed about gimping through the rest of the snowboarding season than anything else. :-/
    Oh, and also that I can’t go see motocross at SBC Park tomorrow night! Sigh, where’d I put that vicodin…