Fork oil write-up

Peter and I swapped the fork oil in the SVS this weekend, so naturally, there’s a write-up.

The maintenance went pretty well. I think it took a bit longer than either of us had planned, but we got some good pictures and a good write-up out of it, and the bike is certainly a lot happier. I can’t say I felt all that much of a difference this morning, but my commute doesn’t exactly tax the suspension.

Must replace the brake fluid next. I topped off the reservoir on Sunday, and there’s a distinct change in color and opacity between the new and old fluid.

This entry was posted in Wrenching. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Fork oil write-up

1. Kevin Greiner says:

Let us know how you like the new fork oil. I’m thinking that I might try that myself even though my fork seals aren’t leaking.
    I almost certainly will upgrade some of the components while I have the forks apart. Unless, of course, you tell me that the fork oil makes a huge difference.

I don’t really notice any difference with the 10wt fork oil on my commute. I took the scenic route to my allergy shot yesterday afternoon, however, and did notice an improvement in handling in the twisties.
    If you’re unhappy with the suspension, I’d go ahead and upgrade anyway, regardless of what I say. 😉 I weigh almost nothing and am probably the only human on earth who never had troubles with the stock setup.

3. sharad says:

I’ve upgraded to heavier springs (0.80 kg/mm) and 20 wt. fork oil and the difference is really noticeable. I weigh 155 with full gear. Between the upgraded front and the penske rear shock, the SV is a whole new bike.
    At first I was hesitant to upgrade the suspension. Then I rode a friends SVS that had an Ohlins rear, and springs and racetech emulators up front. His bike was stable through turns, soaking up bumps and ripples in the road that would make my bike hop all over the place.
    I rode my SV at Willow Springs on Tuesday and the suspension upgrades DO make a difference. Suzuki had to cut costs somewhere to hit the price point of the SV and it seems like the suspension is where they went cheap.
    Then again, as Carolyn says, if the stock suspension works for you, save your money!
    http://www.racetech.com has a spring rate and fork oil calculator if you want to see what they suggest.

According to RaceTech:
    Rider Weight: 110 lbs.
    Recommended Spring Rate: 0.686 kg/mm(use closest available)
    Stock Fork Spring Rate (measured): .706 kg/mm(stock)
    Looks like I’ll stick with the stock forks. 🙂

5. sharad says:

Carolyn, you must be one of the few people for whom the stock springs are of the right rate! If your stock springs ever get out of spec, email me and you’re welcome to have mine.

6. Harry says:

Carolyn,
    Nice write-up on the fork servicing. Could you tell me where you purchased the Traxxion fork tube guards?
    Thanks,