Woops, I almost forgot to do an update this month! :O I guess that’s good news, right?
What’s Going On?
Recovery is going really really really really (etc etc) well. Â I still have pain most days, but it’s a very subtle burning or sore feeling, not even terribly noticeable. Â It’s at the point where distraction often makes it go away almost completely — if I’m involved in a good book or movie or conversation, I generally don’t notice the pain at all.
To that end, and I hope this doesn’t sound totally New Age-y, I’ve started doing a 30-day workbook on the Mind-Body Connection. Â Here’s a link if anyone’s interested; the gist is that chronic pain can be caused/exacerbated by stress or by emotions that the brain doesn’t feel like dealing with. Â This really rang a bell for me as my anxiety issues are the same way — my brain will often pull bullshit like, “hey, I don’t want to think about this deadline for work; instead I’ll ramp up your anxiety so that your chest hurts and you think you’re having a heart attack”. Â So it makes perfect sense to me that the brain would also say, “hey, I don’t want to think about XYZ, so, here, have some back pain instead”.
Anyway, I’m on Day 5 of 30 of that workbook and I think it’s helping already, if for no other reason than that it makes it easier for me to deal (mentally) with the pain that I still do get.
- Still doing three 20-second planks every night (“normal” forearm ones, then side planks on each side).
- My weekly training with Melinda continues to go very well. Â We’ve been working together for about six weeks now and I’ve never had a flare up or any kind of problem afterwards. Â This past week, we started incorporating some light weights — a 5lb weight bar for doing straight leg deadlifts, and 5lb dumbbells for doing single leg deadlifts. Â Everything else remains active stretching, bodyweight work, core work, etc.
- Still no public skating this month. Â Like last month, this was due to scheduling difficulties more than my ability or lack thereof. Â Right now my plan is to focus on the motorcycle until it starts raining; I’ll switch my focus to skating over the winter.
- As evidenced in this journal, the motorcycling is going really well! Once I got over that 80 mile flare up, things are pretty much back to normal. Â I don’t have any issues at all after yesterday’s 17-mile ride, and I’m planning on riding to Tuesday’s Sport-Touring.net dinner (about 6 miles each way).
- I have hopes that maybe Peter and I can ride to Half Moon Bay for an overnight ride over Thanksgiving break — obviously we’ll play that by ear, but it would be fun. Â I bet I could even talk him into eating at Cameron’s and getting massages. Â Rough life!
So that’s what’s going on. Â I see my back doctor for a checkup tomorrow, but I’m not expecting anything other than “glad things are improving; see you in another 4 months”.