A trip overview

I have a few minutes between meetings now, and since my vacation form has been accepted by HR, I figured I could now “officially” talk some more about my ride this summer.

Disclaimer: I’m not going to mention specific dates ahead of time because I don’t want to broadcast to the Intardwebz exactly where I’m going to be and when. But if you’re one of the people I’m going to be visiting, I do have a more granular schedule and will get in touch via email.

So, the gist of the trip is to see some parts of the country that I’m woefully ignorant of and — perhaps more importantly — see a lot of friends that have scattered far and wide.

Most of the time I stay in hotels on trips, eating alone at diners and taking far more photos of the bike and the landscape than of any people. I intend to change that for this ride.

The trip is going to be broken up into three legs; I’ll chat for a second about each one.

Leg 1: Cupertino, CA to Key West, FL.

2008_1

The destination point is simple: I’ve always wanted to take a photo of my bike with the “90 miles to Cuba” buoy in Key West. Also, as a die-hard Parrothead, I felt it was time to make the pilgramage.

On this leg, I’ll be staying with:
* Yvette, a friend from my fitness message board
* Jodie, a Wind Dancer who recently moved away from the Bay Area
* Monica, my best friend from junior high and high school
* Paul and Carla, my awesome friends who I’m still mad at for moving away from the Bay Area

I also plan on seeing Roswell, NM and New Orleans, LA, neither of which I’ve ever been to.

Leg 2: Key West, FL to Minocqua, WI

2008_2

Peter will be flying to Key West and will do Leg 2 with me. Yay!

This destination point is also a no-brainer; my dad’s family has a cottage in Minocqua that I used to spend summers at as a kid. I’ll be meeting my mom up there and we’re going to scatter dad’s ashes at the lakefront. Yes, he died over 2 years ago…he’s always been late to everything, even after death. šŸ˜‰

On this leg, we’ll stay with:
* Diane, another fitness board friend
* Paula and Dan, Peter’s aunt and uncle
* Peter’s parents
* My mom at the cottage

I’m hoping to visit the Vanderbilt Estate on this leg, too.

Leg 2: Minocqua, WI to Cupertino, CA

Well, I guess I’ve got to get back to work someday.

2008_3

This is the most fluid leg of them all; I don’t really have a set agenda yet. Peter will be flying home from Wisconsin, so I’ll be on my own again for this part.

So far, I know I’ll stay with:
* Rachelle, an awesome rock climber and fitness board buddy

I want to check out Missouri Breaks in Montana if there’s time, and make a personal stop in Rugby, ND.

And that’s about it. More about the trip preparation, of course, as the time draws nearer, but that’s pretty much the outline and rough idea.

11 Responses to A trip overview

1. -april says:

Sounds like a wonderful trip! What fitness boards do you visit?

2. Mat Hyder says:

About the Vanderbilt Place. Do you mean the Biltmore House? If this is it I highly recommend it. I used to live close to the Biltmore House and it was always an amazing thing to see. Have Fun, Be careful,
    Mat

3. Tinker says:

Looks like you’ll be driving right past my house. US 183 to Austin? That’s a long boring trip, through west Texas. Drink plenty of water.

4. Jennie says:

Oh, that sounds awesome! What fun!

5. Absolutely awesome. šŸ™‚ I’m totally chuffed that you’re going to be visiting Jodie, too šŸ™‚
    Roswell rocks!

6. Durandal says:

Wow, that’s a LONG trip! It looks like you’ll have fun. Are you going to be driving this in a car, or will you be doing this on your BMW? I refuse to get on the freeway with my XT225, so I can only imagine a long road trip via motorcycle. Safe travels to you! (If you were coming through Arkansas, I know lots of fun roads to ride on.)

> Are you going to be driving this in a car, or will you be doing this on your BMW?
    The bike. šŸ˜‰

8. Doug Faunt says:

I’d suggest the Crane Point museum in Marathon, and sorta the Mel Fisher Museum in Key West. Consider the seaplane flight from Key West out to Fort Jefferson at Dry Tortugas.
    It looks as if one of your “pause” points is around Columbia, SC, which is where I spent the school year growing up.

9. Steve Miller says:

Looks great. I hate to say it, because it is worth doing at some point, but if I were you I’d skip the Biltmore and spend more time riding the roads in the area. There’s a great motorcycle-only campground (Willville Bike Camp) off the BRP near the NC/Virginia line, and another off the BRP about half an hour west of Asheville (Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground). And the roads… you HAVE to ride the Cheroahala Skyway, for one. The Dragon is overrated, mostly because it’s so crowded.
    I’d be jealous, but I’m busy planning my trip from Western NC to Prudhoe Bay and back in 2009. Step One: Get a Wee Strom.

10. Ronn says:

The ride from Roswell to Austin isn’t a boring trip if you don’t want it to be. Will be glad to help if I can. Best of luck in any event!

11. conchscooter says:

Key West eh? Better off being here now, while you northern persons find it possible to breathe outdoors…. Good luck on the trip.