SV650S valve adjustment write-up

Yeah, yeah, I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted a mechanical write-up. But fret no more! Here’s the SV650S checking/adjusting valves write-up.

This entry was posted in SV650S, Wrenching. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to SV650S valve adjustment write-up

1. Jesse says:

You know it’d be easier if you didn’t have to deal with that rear cylinder.

Pesky rear cylinder. I’m glad my other bike is a thumper… 😉

3. Kansas says:

Nice write up. 🙂

4. Gene Cash says:

VERY nice writeup and EXCELLENT pictures. Every time I try to take pics of my engine mechanicals, it’s a nightmare to get it lit and exposed right. (plus I usually have to wash it, and THAT ain’t gonna happen!)
    All my valves were smack in the middle of the range at 33,500 miles. I was going to take it to the dealer for the 2nd half, even though he wanted $600 for it.

5. Gene Cash says:

Me again! I just hit 50,000 miles so I did the valve check again, and my rear cylinder is still ok, but both my front exhaust valves were tight and needed to go down a shim size.
    FYI, I bought a Harbor Freight lift a month ago, and it’s worth every dime I spent on it plus the hassle of getting it home and rearranging the garage for it.
    I used the trick of zip-tying the chain to the sprockets, and only lifted the cam out far enough to get the bucket out. I would’ve also unbolted only one cam at a time if I’d had to do both. This way I didn’t have to re-time everything, just double-check that it was still correct.
    It was absolute sheer hell removing the front tensioner. I had to remove the water pump hose, and there isn’t room under the frame member to use a ratchet on the inner bolt. I had to put a wrench converter on the hex socket. Thank god I had one.
    Since the special tool is now about $55, I spent about an hour with the Dremel tool making one out of steel shim stock. When I saw your pic of the tool, I said “OH! that’s why there’s the cross machined under the top bolt!” and it was truly worth a thousand words.
    I’m also putting Race-Tech springs and Gold Valve Emulators in the forks, a new air filter, a new battery, new spark plugs, new chain & sprockets, and doing a brake fluid change, and an oil & filter change, so I feel like it’s a MotoGP pit or something.
    I figure after 50,000 miles of daily riding and it deserves some luvin’

• Doyve says:

I reckon my valves needed checking, 53,000km, so I googled it. This was the first hit, and I scrolled down and read your response, well written. I intend to attempt (well I’ve not explored the link yet). Thanks.

6. Marshall says:

Did you consider pulling the engine? Seems like more maintenances could be performed, as well as being able to clean the chassis and engine.

> Did you consider pulling the engine?
    To check the valves? :O I have to say that no, the thought never crossed my mind.

8. Danny Webster says:

What an accurate and entertaining way to describe this complicated task! My manual goes to ’05 SV650’s and I am working on a ’07; your tip about removing the rear foot peg was just what I needed(the manual talks about removing the rear wheel, as if that would help!) to remove the rear tensioner this afternoon.
    If you are taking requests of what technical subject to talk about next, how about the seal replacement procedure on the water pump? (Maybe it is too trivial, but it doesn’t sound that way).

Thanks, Danny! I don’t actually have the SVS anymore, so I can’t help with the seal replacement, but check out svrider.com — they used to have a good technical forum. 😀

10. Alan says:

I did a google search “sv650 valve adjustment” and this page is #1… maybe you should get that fixed! : ) Blue ninja 250’s unite! Oh, I sold that one too. And I just sold my bandit 400, and I somehow found this site doing a search for that back when. You’re a rock star in the motorcycle personal website world. Has it always been bluepoof?–I always thought it was blueproof! Ride safe!