Alaska is a go!

I talked to my boss about the Alaska trip this morning. To my surprise, he was really supportive and even told me some funny stories about various trips he’s taken. I didn’t really expect him to start screaming and throwing things at my head or anything, but I wasn’t prepared for zero pushback. It makes me a little nervous, to be honest. I half-expect him to come back in a week and tell me that I can still go, but upon my return, I’ll have to move my desk down to the basement and give up my red Streamline stapler.

The trip is still in that hazy surreal stage for me, the stage that usually lasts until three hours into the trip. It’s four and a half months away now. I remember when we first started tossing the idea around in winter 2002. We had seventeen months to wait. Now it’s down to four. Creepy.

I’m still pretty excited. My only concern is how I’ll handle travelling with two other people for so long. Even though Steph and Tony are two of my bestest friends and I love them both dearly (and, fortunately, I think it’s mutual), I get weird on road trips. I like being on my own, and being nomadic, and being independant. With three weeks on the road, though, I’m sure we’ll work something out. They’re probably wondering how they can possibly survive three weeks of me, anyway. 😉

On a totally separate note, I got into work today to discover that my phone had played a game of Snake with itself in my tankbag on the ride over. I’ve had my cell phone call people from my tankbag before, but playing Snake was a new trick. The depressing part was that it got a high score.

This entry was posted in Alaska. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Alaska is a go!

Actually, I am still in the “how can I survive three weeks?” stage. Surviving everone else isn’t that high a priority- Alaska is a big state, should be easy to hide the bodies…

Remember Alaska Barb? When I mentioned your trip she got all excited, and said that she’d like you to let her know when/where etc. She has been hoping to make it out to Fairbanks for a few years,and this might be her excuse to do so. If you want.
    So, just plan some alone-trips. You have plenty of scope. 🙂

3. tony says:

Ahh, so sweet. We love you too! ;^)
    I think we’ll be fine. We seem to be pretty good at recognizing the danger signs of low blood sugar in each other. Still, if it comes down to it, I’m sure I’ll be the first to be eaten. No worries.

Hrm. I’m not sure about that, Tony. You’re scrawny — there won’t be enough good eating on you. Plus, neither Steph nor I could even hope to ride your bike once we’d eaten you. We’d have to leave it out there, and that’s a waste of perfectly good V-Strom. I think we’ll just have to wait until Peter meets us in Fairbanks, and eat *him*. I’ll make sure he buys one-way airfare.

I’ll come and get the bike. It’s okay – you’re covered.

PS – where are you sailing from, again?

7. tony says:

Hey, thanks for looking out for me Linda! :^P

Ok, now I’m having an ethical conundrum. Tony has offered to be eaten, but I like Steph’s bike better. I don’t think she’d let me have the Legend unless we ate her, but I don’t want to have to eat Steph. This whole cannibalism thing is more difficult than it first appeared.

Well, I guarantee I will attempt to rigor mortis around the handlebars. That bike is MINE.
    Besides, through the magic of EBAY I can sell a bike anywhere I can get a cellular signal and let some poor buyer worry about retrieving it.
    (Mental note: must remember to pack v-strom title…)
    I’m not sure about this whole cannibalism trend in the group- I am much too picky about my food. I guess it would be easier than just hiding the body(ies) like I intended though, and would save on food too. Research indicates restaurants can get expensive up there.
    -/s

10. tony says:

Hey, that wasn’t an offer! I just know that I don’t stand much of a chance against the likes of you two.

Aww, honey don’t worry. There’s no way I would off you in the middle of the AlCan. With my tank range, I need you to carry a jerry-can in your hardbag for me. You are fine until at least Fairbanks…

You’re welcome, I’m sure.
    Anyway, I won’t eat anyone, ’cause I’m currently a trainee vegetarian since the beginning of the year. 😉

13. peter says:

Now people know the real reason I’m not going on the ride!