Count the red bikes!

Ok, we officially have Too Many Red Bikes. It’s excessive.

Peter rode the Duc home tonight; he says it was “interesting”. I’ll
probably ride it around a bit over the weekend.photo_97.jpg
photo_98.jpg

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Count the red bikes!

1. Alex says:

Oh Damn. You just had to show the pictures too. Now I need to change my underoo’s. Peter, if you read this, please please please, post a review or some words about the 996? Power? Seating position? Handling? please? >insert bambi eyes here<

2. Geoff says:

Carolyn, I feel your pain. The least I could do would be to relieve you of that pesky red Ducati that is cluttering up your yard and causing you so much anguish. ๐Ÿ™‚ Not only that, I’ll even offer to ride it on a regular basis to ensure that the battery doesn’t go dead. Haha!

3. Peter says:

The 996 was interesting. I’m 6’4″, and it’s not. For the ride down 101, I was reading the spedo by looking down through the frontside of the windshield. The handlebars sit around 4 and 8 o’clock. The bike doesn’t steer at all– leaning was everything. The duc’s owner changed the stock gearing a few teeth for more torque, and I could tell. I rode home at local freeeway speeds in 3rd gear at 7k RPM. I also got a nasty hip cramp from being folded tighter than an origami swan. But the bike sounds great. It’s really loud, with a sound I really like.

4. Kim says:

I seem to remember Cat and I having a conversation about bikes and steering and her saying that, like my YZF600R, there’s definitely that feeling that you need to make a deliberate, full-body commitment to your turn, but once you do you’re sticking to that line. All the Hondas I’ve ridden, on the other hand (my CB-1, Mark’s VFR, coworker Philip’s F4) steer rather like each other despite differing geometry: I feel like it doesn’t take much to more than pointing my eyes in the direction I want to go to get going, but there’s more work to keeping the line (I call it “Honda psychic turning”).
    Anyways, maybe I’m babbling.

5. Peter says:

Heh, “Honda psychic turning” is a very good description of it. My Superhawk and VF700 do steer very much alike. And I know exactly what you mean by having to work to keep the line.
    Kim, your babbling is always interesting. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Michael says:

996s are geared waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too tall from the factory so the extra teeth probably put it in it’s sweet spot. Look to get a quick change sprocket carrier if you’d rather buy 40 dollar sprockets instead of $100+ ones. Also look at getting some bar risers, Vreeke makes some nice ones that are resonable price wise, it’ll help uncramp you. Beware the dreaded lack of steering lock on that thing too. Far too easy to be turning in a parking lot, hit hard against the lock and end up with busted plastic. *cringe*

7. Michael says:

and erm, just file that away as useless knowledge since I just figured out y’all aren’t keeping the duck. ๐Ÿ˜€