Microsoft?!?!

I came in to work today to find out that my company has been bought by Microsoft. Holy crap!

This should be a good thing for me overall. I’ll get a decent cash payout on my Danger stock, plus a good retention bonus since I’ve been at Danger for 7.5 years. The benefits package at MSFT is much better, including 401K matching and 100% health coverage.

Most importantly, program managers (what I do) are very well-respected at MSFT and I think it will be good for my career overall. One woman who talked to us today was a program manager and is now a general manager of the entire entertainment and mobile communications division at MSFT.

But yeah, I work for Microsoft now. Or, I will in ~30 days.

I’ve been assured that this won’t impact my vacation plans this summer.

2257851529_3f7b09c28e

This entry was posted in No Bike Content. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Microsoft?!?!

1. Ian McKellar says:

Fun times!
    I don’t know what I’m going to spend my millions on. I always wanted a yacht…
    I talked to an old coworker the other day who works at Microsoft and he loves the way he’s treated, loves the benefits and says it’s the best job he’s ever had. So that’s good.
    Ian

2. sam says:

One of us… one of us…

3. Cat says:

Redmond borg, Rainbow borg … I, for one, welcome our all seeing, all knowing overlords… (they’re recording this for posterity, aren’t they?!?)

4. RunRun says:

(I’ve been assured that this won’t impact my vacation plans this summer).
    If you beleive that CRAP I’ll pay for your vacation. Most buy-out always end up in lay-offs. I Been through some here in silicon valley I was born and raised here in Palo alto.
    Good Luck!!

5. Jennie says:

Whoah. That is huge. Whoah.

> If you beleive that CRAP I’ll pay for your vacation.
    Awesome; send me your email address and I’ll save the receipts from my trip. 😉

7. Ken Haylock says:

“We are The Children of Bill. We have been assimilated. Resistance is Futile!”.

8. Becky says:

My husband works at MS in Redmond. The benefits have dwindled over the years, but for a program manager such as yourself, you’ll probably be well compensated. The ‘evil empire’ will eventually take over…
    Bikerchickz

9. Free Beer says:

I hadn’t checked in on your blog for a few years now but when I heard we acquired Danger, I zipped over here to see if you were there. I’ve only been at Microsoft for about 3 years now but I have to say I like it here. Give it a few years and see what you think.

10. Ravi says:

Welcome! The Tellme/MS transition didn’t suck that much at all.

11. Jersey says:

Man, that photo is creeping me out.

12. RunRun says:

Awesome; send me your email address and I’ll save the receipts from my trip. 😉
    Did I speak to fast HAHA!!!

13. Jersey says:

Oh wow, yes, that second photo is even creepier. You’ll soon discover that management at MS loves to throw around the word “passion”. They’re quite passionate about it.

14. Jim says:

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I found your blog randomly while searching for information on how to install Frame Sliders on my SV650s. Microsoft has a great motorcycle community (of which I’m a part). Welcome =)