Hooray space alien dirtbike armor!

Peter and I wore full kidney belt/back protector/pressure suits while on the Cape York trip and I absolutely fell in love with them. They’re so much more comfortable — and secure — than a roost protector.

I ordered this one as soon as we got home and it arrived today:

It’s an Alpinestars “Stella” (i.e. women’s) Bionic Protection Jacket. I ordered a size S (the M I wore in Australia was too big) and it’s a bit tight in the biceps, but otherwise, it fits great. I don’t really understand why every clothing manufacturer believes small women have tiny stick biceps, but OK.

I’m très excited; this’ll be great with the XT. :)

This entry was posted in Stuff! Stuff! Stuff!. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Hooray space alien dirtbike armor!

1. Stephen Lee says:

Most small women don’t play ice hockey & ride motorcycles. :)
    Gosh, don’t give anyone a hug while wearing that. You could, um, hurt them. ;)
    Glad you had a great trip to Australia! I’ve always wanted to go, and I’ve been planing on making a big trip there for my 30th b-day in ’08.

Yeah, the plastic boobs are totally ridiculous. I suppose they’re in case I’m not feeling very feminine on my dirtbike despite my hot pink jersey. :D
    Australia is highly recommended (Alan will back me up on that too, right, Alan?)! I’m shooting for Tasmania as the next part of Oz to visit, maybe for some future anniversary. :)

3. Alan R. says:

Consider yourself backed up. I had fun in Oz, and I don’t even drink beer.
    Tasmania sounds fun. They even have a cricket museum there. :-)
    You might want to check out some of the more populated areas of Oz, too. Around Sydney there’s the Opera House, the Harbor Bridge, Bondi Beach, etc. And the Blue Mountains would make a good day trip by bike out of Sydney. The southern coast of Australia (the part known as the Shipwreck Coast in Victoria) seems like a cool place to ride a bike without the need for a burly tour guide to pull you out of the mud. The main roads are paved, and there are lots of places to stop and do sightseeing. The only negative on that area for a Californian is it’s a bit like California – beautiful coast, cities and towns which developed from a gold rush in the 1800’s, wineries, etc. On the other hand, while there are similarities in what you see, the soundscape is uniquely Australian. In particular, the birds there make very un-Californian noises.
    BTW, did you hear or see bats at night in Queensland? That was one thing I noticed about Cairns which was distinct from other parts of Oz I visited.

4. Alex says:

Carolyn, you should put pasties on those plastic boob armor. Australia looked awesome! I’m going to ping you offline for registration details. Sounds like a great tour.

>BTW, did you hear or see bats at night in Queensland? That was
    >one thing I noticed about Cairns which was distinct from other
    >parts of Oz I visited.
    Oh man, yeah! Kookaburras in the morning and evenings and bats and parrots at night. :D

6. wow, very cool-looking! :) Will it just be for dirt-bike riding, or also for street? It looks like it could hold up to darn near anything…

Dirt only, though it’s good for dualsporting because I’d feel comfortable on the street for short periods of time. Like, I could ride to the local dirt park with it.
    For rides with mostly street, though, or for easier dirt, I’ll still wear my street gear offroad.

8. Lou G. says:

Hi Bluepoof, 1st, congrats to you and Peter on your wedding. 2nd, congrats on scoring a 2nd XT! 3rd, what do you suppose the max temps would be where the Alpinestars bionic body armor would no longer be comfortable? It’s bloody hot & humid here in NJ.
    Best,
    Jetlag (Lou) from the XT225.com site.

Heya Lou — thanks! I haven’t worn the Alpinestars armor in particular yet, but we wore something very similar in Australia. It was probably in the high 80s and very humid, with very intense sunlight. It was most comfortable to wear a jersey or T-shirt with the armor over it — it looked dorky, but it was then easy to remove the armor at stops to cool off a little.