Fall colors ride

With the new meds I’m on for my spine/nerve problems (Lyrica, for those following along at home), there’s no way I’m getting on a streetbike anytime soon.

A lightweight dual-sport, now, though, that’s another story. πŸ™‚

I felt pretty good this afternoon and the meds’ side effects weren’t too bad, so I hopped on the XT for a 22-mile ride around some local back roads. My goal was to find some nice fall colors — most of the landscape around here is either coniferous trees or grassy hillsides, so our two seasonal colors are green and brown.

I lucked out right away and found some nice oranges and yellows along Stevens Canyon Road, a one-lane ride through — you guessed it — Stevens Canyon, and alongside Stevens Creek.

I forgot the mini tripod that I like to bring when riding through the forests, so some of the pics are unfortunately a little blurry from the low light. A couple turned out well though:

The XT got kinda stuck on the wet rocks/leaves/logs at that last photo. I’m pretty sure that when my doctor told me to “take it easy”, she wasn’t referring to wrestling a 250 lb motorcycle over wet boulders, but that’s life.

I’m a bit more sore than I probably should be (then again, I did take the low dose of the meds this afternoon instead of the higher). But maybe I can keep going out on these 20-mile rides once a week as a “dose of fun”. πŸ˜‰ Right now, the weather reports are predicting sunny weekends through November…

This entry was posted in Rides, XT225. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Fall colors ride

Awwww, I was just thinking of checking in on you today to see if the Lyrica was helping. Glad it is, and I’m damn jealous of you for having such a beautiful ride.
    We spent the afternoon variously getting new tires for the SV and a trailer to take it to the track next week. Sigh. Next week, maybe, we’ll get to take care of my bike.

Fingers crossed on your bike! I’m free next Saturday — let me know if you’d like company working on it. πŸ™‚

3. Ken Haylock says:

Ouch!
    Just from reading here, it sounds so far like the steroid injection has ‘improved things worse’. Is there some kind of payoff soon where you can do everything you were doing before the injection with less pain than you had before, or are you just waiting to sue for malpractice so that you can buy an MV Agusta?
    πŸ™‚

Yeah, it does seem like I had some sort of bad reaction to the injection. I don’t think it’s anything the surgeon did wrong — I had a full work-up of blood tests, which all came back normal. If the surgeon had punctured the dura and spinal fluid had leaked, it would have shown up in the blood test.
    So far, I’m confusing the hell out of everyone. No one has any idea why I’m having the spinal pain or what caused it. I think we’re all just hoping it goes away on its own. πŸ˜‰ And, y’know, soon.
    On the plus side, the combo of the injection and the Lyrica has all but gotten rid of (or is masking) the other neuropathy pains I had, like the shoulder pain and the burning/itching/tingling in my hands and forearms.
    It’s been an interesting couple of weeks. πŸ™‚

5. Regan says:

Ugh. During the wife’s last baby-having session, the idiot intern giving her the epidural punctured the dura. And it only took him a half-hour to do it! She had a constant worse-than-migraine headache after the birth. Doctor said it’ll probably heal itself within a few weeks, (fantastic, as if caring for a newborn isn’t stressful enough), or they could do a ‘bloodpatch’. Inserting blood into the spinal column to clot up at the hole. Almost like using fix-a-leak on a car tire, come to think of it. Anyway, I know, way too much information. Hope you feel better soon!

Ugh, Regan, that sucks! I read up on dural punctures after I started having trouble, and the bloodpatch sounds like a rough ride. I really hope your wife starts feeling better and that it heals on its own.

7. Ken Haylock says:

Maybe the clue that this was a procedure with all sorts of potential risks of severe nastiness was in the way they sorted you out with the full surgical prep (and silly gown), ‘just in case’. Just in case of what, I’d be wondering? Just in case they wanted to see what you looked like walking around in a hideous hospital gown that opened at the back and didn’t cover more than two thirds of your butt? Possible, depending on whether you were being looked after by the cast of ‘Scrubs’ or not, but unlikely :-).
    If they’d said ‘Oh, there’s a 2% chance that this will kill you, a 3% chance that you might be rendered quadraplegic and a 10% chance that you will be in chronic crippling pain for the next 2 weeks/months/years (or perhaps for life, he said cheerfully, making up all the numbers due to having no medical knowledge whatsoever) then is there a chance perhaps that you’d have opted to live with odd bit of unpleasant tingling in your arms?

Now now, let’s not assume that carolyn is a moron. I did quite a bit of research into the injection beforehand, including its risks and containdications.
    Full surgical IV, btw, was in case I wanted (or they determined that I needed) sedation during the procedure. I didn’t, so my IV had saline.
    I didn’t have the injection for the neuropathy in my arms; you’re right in that I can completely live with that. I had the injection for shoulder pain that I’d had for 3 years (you may have read about it in this blog) that was affecting my daily life.

9. Ken Haylock says:

Sorry :-). I really didn’t mean to come across like I was assuming that you were a moron :-). [Patronising mode off]
    I was wondering whether the medics had been so excited about their shiny, sexy, oh-so-expensive but uber-clever new procedure that they hadn’t thought you needed to know about all the ways it might go wrong before they suggested it :-).
    If you knew this might happen but thought it was worth the risk, that’s totally cool. Well, not totally – that would be if it hadn’t happened.