Qatar SBK (no spoiler)

OK, SBK, that was a great pair of races.

I didn’t watch SBK last year because, well, it sucked.* But if this first race at Qatar is any indication, SBK is shaping up to be a good ride this year. I say OK.

* Well, yes, not that AMA was really any better. Let’s just forget about 2005 as far as professional racing is concerned.

6 Responses to Qatar SBK (no spoiler)

1. Alex says:

Poof! You have to be kidding, right?
    Last years SBK races we’re better than AMA -AND- MotoGP! There we’re quite a few nailbiters, with Haga and Lanzi swapping paint! Oh man, I hooted and hollered like a nascar fan last year watching those guys go at it. Granted, Corser ran away with the championship, but the other racing was fantastic.
    I think this year is going to be the Coser, Bayliss, Toseland, Haga party personally. But we’ll see.
    I’m just glad to see Bayliss back. 🙂

Damn, I must have had the “only record boring shit” setting turned on the Tivo, then! *sad* Because man, the three or four I tried to watch were really bad. Zzzzz.

3. Geoff says:

I tend to agree that ever since the end of the 2002 season when Bayliss, Edwards, etc. left for Moto GP, SBK was pretty dang boring. But now that a lot of the boys are back in SBK, this should be a great season. My money is on Bayliss. Haga is always strong for the first half of the race, but then he either fades back or crashes. Corser and Toseland will keep things lively, too! Good thing SBK is looking so good because, from what I can tell, the AMA is in the process of imploding. And just as an aside…. is there anyone out there that DOESN’T think that Daytona sucks? The riders hate it, the manufacturers hate it, the tire makers hate it, and the fans hate it (have you ever seen so many empty seats at any event?), so what’s the point?

As far as I can tell, the only purpose of Daytona is to provide a long racing experience for me to drink through.

5. Geoff says:

I’m still a little upset that the brothers Bostrom (they were born and went to school in Redding, ya know) won’t be racing head to head this year. Bad Yamaha! Very, very BAD!!
    Here’s an idea for a reader poll:
    Do you think that the whole Michael Jordan / Jumpman 23 team involvement in AMA will be good for the sport, or will it turn the AMA Superbike series into one big sneaker and clothing commercial?

6. Peter says:

I don’t think the Jordan thing has had more than a mention. It helps (?) that their bike doesn’t seem to be All That, at least not yet.
    Plus, motorcycle sporting could use some character driven mainstream exposure. I certainly don’t want it to take over like NASCAR; what’s the point of that? But more fans equals more and better TV coverage. Speed TV is trying to make a bigger deal out of the personalities, I just hope they have the patience to build it up.