Damn you, Highway 30

So, while riding from Seattle, WA to Bend, OR on Saturday, we ended up on a long straight section of Hwy 30 in southern WA.

You know how your mind starts wandering on such roads? Well, I used that road to Make Some Decisions. And now that I’m home and mostly coming off of the road trip high, I’m starting to think that those long straight sections are really frickin’ dangerous.

The first direct result of Hwy 30 was to plop down a few hundred bucks this morning for the Femmoto track day in Las Vegas on Oct 1. Between Colleen and Yosh, I didn’t have a chance to refuse. I was dead in the water. So far, we’ll have a hotel room crammed with Colleen (DantesDame), Yosh (Stargzrgrl), Kristina (krismark), Cynthia (kitkite) and me. I feel badly for our hotel neighbors. A weekend in Vegas with ST.N girls….*purrrr*

I’ve never been to a track day. Yes, yes, I know, I suck. But I’m starting to realize that I have bad habits on the SVS and am really looking forward to an instructional day where People Who Know What They’re Talking About can tell me how to fix ’em. Of course, I’ll be on a rental bike (I’m flying to Vegas, not riding), but eh.

More Hwy 30 news to follow once plans are concreted. 😉

9 Responses to Damn you, Highway 30

1. Chris says:

So, which bike are you getting?? 😉

2. Lusty says:

That’s the kind of track day I should do. After the one track day I did, I know I don’t have the will to do all that work to put my bike on the track with any regularity, but if all I have to do is show up and ride…

3. Nelson (nsalas) says:

Most trackday providers at Thunderhill (closer than Vegas) have 120$ trackdays to attract women to the sport……that’s like 33% off!!!…..I’ve thinking of wearing a wig and never removing my helmet all day to take advantage of the savings.

4. Nelson (nsalas) says:

…….and you have the truck already to transport your bike…………….half the battle won……bike transportation, own bike(s) and discounted prices……..why Vegas?………unless of course it is your alibi, because what happens in Vegas….

Vegas because it’s a party weekend. 🙂 Femmoto does this whole female-only weekend with banquet, manufacturers, etc.
    Also, it’s sort of attractive not to bring my own bike. I won’t have to worry about setting it up right (yes, I’ve heard it’s easy) or crashing it (yes, I’ve heard that’s rare).
    Third, I get to hang out with ST.n girls from all over the country. 🙂

6. Colin says:

Congrats, you’ll have a blast at the Femmoto event….trackdays are really, really fun and the Femmoto setting seems right up your alley (well, at least as far as one can tell from reading a blog!). I think they have different manufacturers show up with bikes to try, too, no?
    Be warned, though, trackdays are addictive. The camaraderie of the pits, the chance to explore your skills in a safe, controlled environment and/or get instruction. All day immersion in motorcycles.
    The first session can be a little intimidating, but it’s easy/fun with the right provider. I felt (and was) safer on the track than on the street…the track is soooo wide and smooth.
    With a truck, the major hurdle, transportation, is gone. Thunderhill is calling!
    You could probably prep your SV with your eyes closed. Swap the coolant with water, pull some bulbs, unscrew the mirrors, a little duct tape and it’s ready to go!
    Don’t ask how long it took *me* to swap my coolant…my Y chromosome might get revoked…

7. Viv says:

All women and borrowed bikes … that sounds awesome!

Oooh, Viv, you should join! *bounce*

Will you write this up? The whole thing is a mystery to me – prepping what? doing what? – so I’d be interested.