More on the Lincoln Highway Grand Tour

The Port Stockton Motorcycle Club just updated their website to include info and an entry form for the 2004 AMA Grand Tour.

This would be a good year to join if anyone out there in WebLand is interested in participating, but doesn’t think they would be able to donate tons of time. The contest this year is based on the entrant’s total points, not on a set number of landmarks or destinations.

From the website:

Points will accumulate in the following manner:
1) Photos of original Lincoln Highway markers or sites
2) Photos of road signs for any community along the original Lincoln Highway
3) Photos of any sites, markers, or landmarks that refer to or were erected in memory of the Highway
4) Photos of street or road signs that have “Lincoln” in their name and were originally part of the Highway system
5) Additional points will be given to entrants for increments of mileage that their home is from the nearest Lincon Highway location. This will benefit and encourage entrants from areas in the country not close to the original Highway.

They’re also going to award a Traveler’s Award, based on the longest distance traveled along the Lincoln Highway (verified by photos of end points and each state crossed).

Alex, you should go for that award! You’re pretty much running the length of the Highway when you ride from NY – CA this summer. πŸ™‚

Me, I’m sticking to California and Nevada Highway markers/sites this year. I don’t think it’s reasonable to shoot for anything further east of Nevada, considering the amount of time I’ll be out of state as-is. Knowing my luck, the 2005 Grand Tour will be “places carolyn went to on her way to Alaska”. πŸ˜‰

For those who know they’ll be doing this contest (Linda and Steph), check out this link:
Lincoln Highway Resouce Guide Table of Contents. I printed out the articles, lists, and maps for both California and Nevada.

This entry was posted in Trips and Travels. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to More on the Lincoln Highway Grand Tour

1. Alex says:

Boo-yea! I’ll try for it. Gods know that I’d rather ride than take pictures, but it would definitly be worth a shot.
    I’m still in the process of getting myself all psychd up for this trip. Got so much work on the ‘cycle to do. As far as preperation.. a pair of undies and two clips of ammo into the backpack, and I’ll be set for some 3,500 mile ride.
    Cant wait. πŸ™‚

2. Alex says:

Scratch that. Looking further into it, I’m going to do the whole damnned thing. I’ll have 2+ weeks, a Litre V-Twin, and a shit-eating grin on my face the whole way.
    Who knows, maybe I’ll come in first. πŸ™‚
    I think I’ll save trying to do the 50cc ironbutt ride for a different motorcycle.

I’ll think about it, but I’m not sure I want to, as it’s quite expensive (still on a budget) and there’s not that sense of done-ness…
    I’m also going to be in Florida in May, Washington in June, and Scotland in September, so I’m not sure when/how I’ll be able to fit Nevada in, though I desperately want to do so.
    Then there’s that little challenge of mine I’m running :: grin :: though I do suppose they could be combined.
    I’ll figure it out. Still not sure about Florida, as the couple hasn’t set a date, and if they don’t soon I won’t be able to get the ticket (too much out of budget).
    How do you earn your finisher pin? What qualifies you for it? I don’t understand that part.

Alex, you’re coming to California? When? Where in CA?
    Linda

5. Alex says:

Linda, I’ll be riding to Northern California, want to see the sights and the mountians. I’m going to leave somewhere near the end of may. Being as I’m completely unpredictable, I’ll probrobly decide when I’m going to do it, 3 days before I do.
    I’ll have to meet up with as many of you as I can. Carolyn already graciously offered me her garage for some tune-up maintence I’m going to have to do before I head back. So I’ll be around that area for at least a day.
    Just me, the SV, a backpack, and thousands of miles. Gonna have to upgrade the camera to fit all the pictures on it.

I live about six miles from Carolyn, so it’s a deal, as long as I’m not in either Washington or Florida. I’d love to meet you. πŸ™‚
    Linda

Alex, you have a digital camera, right? Easiest thing to do is just poke around online until you find compact flast/smart media/whatever your camera uses on sale, and then buy a bunch of them. I bought the 512MB compact flash card for my S50 for under $100, and it holds a couple of hundred pictures alone…add that to the 8, 32, 64, and 128 MB cards I already had, and it’s a short vacation’s worth. πŸ™‚ Or just, y’know, bring a laptop. πŸ™‚

Not sure who this nice Alex person is, but if you need more info I’d be happy to try to find all the work I did on it two summers ago- I was trying to plan a reverse route to Ohio, just to do something different from the usual route 66 experience…