Hola peeps; I hope January is finding everyone happy and healthy.
What’s Going On?
I’m currently having a little bit of a setback but hopefully nothing too terrible. Â As I mentioned in the blog earlier this month, I’ve been having some more pain and nervous system symptoms. Â My personal trainer thinks I probably overdid it traveling; Peter has also been hurt for the past month, so I think I took on a little too much of the “carrying” types of chores while he was healing up.
I started taking a Medrol pack yesterday and, while it’s not helping as immediately as I’d remembered from previous stints on the drug, I think it’s starting to help a little. Â The pain is like a dull toothache in my spine and the tingles in my leg are fairly minor (when I started the Medrol, it felt like my left leg was waking up from being asleep — you know, those pinprick tingles that just kinda drive you nuts?).
The nerve stuff has been going on for about two weeks now, which is a fairly long flare-up. Hopefully the Medrol will kick it soon and, with rest and light massage/stretching/etc, I’ll be back to my relative level of normal within a couple of weeks.
- I haven’t been doing my planks since the back flared up, but until then, I was still doing 30 seconds on my forearms and each side.
- Still weekly training with Melinda. Â Last session and today’s session have been more “rehab” type of workouts: gentle movements and stretching, no weights. But I’m still moving around!
- Before the flare-up I was getting to the gym at least one extra time per week to do some cardio. Â That’s on hold for right now but maybe next week I’ll be able to add some walking back in.
- No skating again this month.
- I’m still at ~40 miles per ride as there wasn’t much riding going on between mid-December and mid-January. Â Between the holiday travel and the rain, the poor Ninja has only gone out once!
- I was hoping to go out tomorrow as it’s supposed to be sunny and in the 60s, but I don’t think my back would approve. Â Bah! Â Stupid winter and its small windows of riding opportunities. 😉