Ow. Ow ow, crap. Ow.

It appears that 80 miles was not, in fact, the world’s best idea.

This is unfortunately an understatement as I’m almost completely unable to walk tonight.  Today has been full of ibuprofen, stretching, tennis ball massage at work, a professional massage after work, icepacks, wine (works better than Vicodin), and sitting in my Zero Gravity chair…and still it hurts too badly to sit up, much less walk around.

Well, shit.

I can tell my pelvis is tilted; the left hipbone is higher than the right and the whole pelvis is rotated to my right.  I have a slight limp when I walk and am hunched forward a very small amount; hopefully that won’t get worse tomorrow.

My SI joints are freakin’ killing me and all the muscles between S1 up through about L2 are burning and tight when not outright spasming.

I see my chiropractor tomorrow; hopefully she can get the pelvis straightened out (literally) and maybe that’ll help the back, too.

Peter is telling me not to get too down on myself; that the lesson to learn here is to stick to my plans and not push TOO much.  I think the hardest thing about this injury for me is that when I flare up for whatever reason, I get in my own head and I think “it’s never going to get better”, despite having had numerous flare ups in the past that, of course, have resolved.

All in all, it was a really bad day to get a travel brochure from the governments of British Columbia, the Yukon, Alberta, and Alaska, telling me how wonderful it is to “drive North to Alaska through Western Canada!”  Very frustrating.  🙁

This entry was posted in Ruptured Disc Adventures. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Ow. Ow ow, crap. Ow.

1. Elizabeth Howe says:

Don’t get too down! Besides, it’s gonna start snowing up here soon, and no-one wants to ride to Alaska in the snow! 🙂 Hang in there 🙂

2. Colleen says:

Awwwww – I wish I could wave my magic wand and make you all better again. Of course I can never find my wand when I need it 🙁 Seriously, I think that Peter has the right point of view: make a plan and stick to it. Of course I know that’s hard to do when the plan consists of sitting in traffic vs riding some awesome roads.

And yes, you’ve overcome these problems before, you can do it again! And someday, they’ll be banished to the basement 🙂

3. chornbe says:

Hey, I can empathize, with the body and mind issues. It sucks. Email pending.

4. Should you be wearing some sort of supportive brace when riding? Just wondering…

5. Red says:

Oh shit. Sorry to hear that. 🙁 I hope you heal up and feel better soon.

But you had fun when you rode those 80 miles, right? 🙂

6. Keith says:

Learning ones limits when the boundaries seem to move can be so very frustrating. You pushed and paid, but I know of no other way to discover what you can and can’t do. Someone mentioned that it sucks, and it does. Hang in there. It will come together, but even if it doesn’t keep living and leaning toward health. From following your blog, it appears you know how to do that. Keep up the healing work.

Life is good,
    Keith

7. The Milkman says:

You are way too young to continue having theses prolbems…I was the same as you and had surgery back in 2002. Like night and day! Still going strong today and only when I lift something very heavy..like and air conditioner do I feel it for a few days…. Is surgery not an option?

8. Mike says:

Carolyn…it *will* get better. I’ve told you a bit about my SI joint issues over at ST.n. It kept me off the bike for long stretches of time from 2005-2008. But it got better. At this point, I’ve only had one 6 week stretch in the past 30 months. The rest have been 99.8% pain free!

Don’t quit, don’t get down, don’t give up. It will get better. Stay positive, stay focused on healing. One day, when you least expect it, everything will start to improve…mostly for good. 🙂

• carolyn says:

Thanks, Mike! I really appreciate the encouragement. 🙂 I know staying positive will really help in the long run. Last night I was out with a friend for dinner and she asked how my back was doing…and I realized it didn’t hurt at all! No burning, no stiffness, nothing. I don’t remember the last time that was the case. So, a tiny window there means there will be more windows and they’ll get bigger and longer. 😀