Well, I guess that would be the problem.

Remember how I said at the end of the exploratory Santa Cruz mountains ride entry that the bike was starting to run poorly?

Well, it got worse. It got tons worse. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it pretty much just sucked. I’ve spent the past four nights tightening things and examining hoses and spraying electrical cleaner on connections and pretty much anything else you can think of when one’s bike suddenly puts you in mind of the mechanical bull at the county fair.

Thanks to the wizards at The Chain Gang, though, I finally found the problem:

One should not be able to put one’s HAND through one’s INTAKE MANIFOLD.

Let’s look at that again, shall we?

Well, now, I guess that might cause some PROBLEMS with the FUEL INTAKE, now, wouldn’t it?

So tomorrow’s task is to call up Das Korporation (also known as Cal BMW) and pay many US dollars for a replacement intake manifold. At 90 bucks a pop, I better not be replacing these every 11,000 miles…

This entry was posted in F650GS, Wrenching. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Well, I guess that would be the problem.

1. stephanie says:

Yowch!
    Well, on the glass is half-full side- at least you don’t have to put it on the computer to find the problem…

2. Steve Miller says:

Was the rubber dry-rotted, or is this just a totally random failure?

3. Alex says:

Wow! That looks like something melted that side which started the crack. Man, that sucks! I hope no dust and debris got sucked into the motor. šŸ™ Keep us posted!

After examining the part more closely this morning, I found that there’s a metal ring around the base of the manifold (where it bolts to the engine, which I guess makes sense). The crack clearly started along this ring and then expanded outwards.
    In my bike’s case, I THINK this happened because, despite being a ’01 model, it only had 5000 miles on it when I bought it in late ’06. I think the rubber sat there dry for most of those five years. Then when I bought it and doubled the mileage in under six months, the dry rubber started moving around with activity and just cracked under the stress.

5. Mike says:

That’s going to throw off the air fuel ratio considerably.

Holey crap! :: runs away, ducking ::