Uh-oh.

Cannot stop looking at F650GS photos. In particular, this F650GS photo:

I was 85% sold on the idea of a wonderfully gorgeous 2007 red 650 thumper dualsport.

And then I found a classified ad of a wonderfully gorgeous 2001 red 650 thumper dualsport. With low miles. And the accessories I want. At a great price.

Email sent. 😉

20 Responses to Uh-oh.

1. Lusty says:

I rode one of those in Georgia this summer, and it was nice, albeit unremarkable. Of course I was not doing any dirt riding on a test ride. Perhaps the Guzzi has spoiled me for all other bikes.
    You know, of course, they’re coming out with the 800 version this year.

Yeah, but an 800cc version will likely be bigger or heavier, and certainly more expensive. I want basically a highway capable version of my XT, to toss down mountainsides and throw into mudpuddles and the like.

Or fire roads. Can’t forget the fire roads… 🙂
    Wish you the best of luck on the classy-fied. Since you seem to have the cyber-version of a glint in your eye, I have no doubt there will be a GS in your garage shortly.

4. Regan says:

Bah! Carolyn forget that F650GS. You know you really need a 2002 SV650s, silver, completely stock, perfect condition, 12k miles. Come to PA with 3000 buckaroos and it’s yours! Heck, it’s sorta yours anyway. All the maintenance stuff I’ve done to it I learned from you! Heh.

5. sbdep says:

My preference instead of the F650GS would be the Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. But it depends on how serious you are about dirt riding. The VStrom is still a 400lb bike which is wonderfull on paved roads, gravel roads, hard packed fire roads, but if you are going beyond that you might look elsewhere.
    Either way though the VStrom takes that wonderful SV6550 engine being advertised above, adjusts the power distribution, and sticks it on a bike that aims to be adventure tourer, for a much better price than the BWM. Of course BMW has been in the business of building this class of bike for a lot longer than anyone else.

Ken:
    >Thing is, for long distance touring, the F650GS could be ideal. But as a fun
    > bike for doing summer Sunday blats around twisty roads, the Z or the SV would
    > probably be more fun.
    Exactly why I’m keeping the Z. 🙂 (I’m keeping the XT too, btw)
    Regan: Ha! Good try. 😉
    sbdep: The V-Strom 650 would actually be my first choice if it weren’t so damned BIG. I don’t know what Suzuki was thinking, making the Wee Strom the same weight/height as the DL1000. 33″ seat height with the gas tank in the conventional location makes for a topheavy bike when one has a 28″ inseam. 🙁

I would have a Wee Strom if they hadn’t decided when they made it littler that they would only do so figuratively and mechanically. What gives? I can almost understand why BMW thinks all proper riders are Teutonic giants named Hans. But you’d think Suzuki might have a clue that not all riders are over six feet.

8. Jamie says:

[Jedi mode] You don’t want that BMW…[/Jedi mode]
    I’ve ridden an F650, and didn’t like it. The bike is almost a hundred pounds heavier than my KLR, which I already feel is a bit too heavy for serious offroading. The F650 weighs twice what your Serow weighs.
    FYI, there are a few aftermarket products that can get the KLR seat height pretty close to that of the F650.

Jamie: I guess the KLR just doesn’t sing to me. I tried to like it, but my heart is going with the Beemer. I test rode a F650CS this morning (same frame and engine) and liked it. I’m not interested, really, in doing “serious offroading” with the GS — that’s what the XT is for (it’s not quite twice the weight of the XT, btw — the XT is 250 and the GS is 420…but I nitpick). I just want the option to go offroad on long trips.

10. Ken Haylock says:

Be aware that the stock plastic luggage on the F650 isn’t really up to the hammering you would give it over any distance, if you fancy doing an offroad tour. You may need to look at the Touratech catalogue, or Wunderlich, or Metal Mule or similar – the adventure riding websites will give you the info and real world experiences you need to decide whether you will need an upgrade and what to buy. Also, there are various hard parts and upgrades that you may want to apply (engine bars, rear master cylinder protectors, etc etc).
    And then there are tyres. If you go with the ‘Metzler Tourance’ or similar, your offroad capability is compromised. If you go with the Continental TKC-80, much better offroad, then you are stuck with a knobbly on tarmac… not as bad as you might think, but not ideal.

11. Ken Haylock says:

Oh yes, farkle city. You can drain your savings, tap all your relatives for Christmas gifts AND exhaust the gift giving capacity of two cathedral-fulls of wedding guests in the Touratech catalogue without ever touching bottom. There’s enough kit in their range to turn the humble F650GS into a bike fit to finish the Paris-Dakar Rally (Touratech build the BMW Rallye bikes for the Dakar every year).

12. Peter says:

She might not hate you, but maybe I should… 😉

I dunno about the touratech stuff. Do you remember on the Alaska trip when the engine guard brackets on Tony’s Strom sheared? That was irritating, but even more so when reading The Long Way Round a last year and hearing of the same thing happening to one of the bikes’ luggage brackets.
    Tony is also running around in the background doing something, yelling, “and don’t forget they’re too freaking expensive!”

14. Ken Haylock says:

I think on the Long Way Round they have an excuse, though. I mean they had so much junk on board that they managed to break the rear subframes in half a couple of times!
    They definitely are expensive, I’ll give you that. The cool thing though is that people have helpfully bought all this stuff and then ridden off round the world with it, then written about it on ‘advrider’, or on ‘horizons unlimited’, so you get lots of real world ‘I’ve just discovered that the oojamaflip panniers aren’t bullet proof during a bandit attack in the mongolian steppes’ type reviews :-).

One of the reasons I liked this bike…it came with Touratech handguards and engine bars. 😉 Dunno if I’ll put more Touratech specific stuff on ($$$coughChristmasListcough$$$), though I might if they’ll come in handy during mongolian steppes bandit attacks! *laughs*

16. Ken Haylock says:

One good point about all the GS range is that farkles like this (hard parts, bar raisers, bark busters, bash plates, suspension upgrades, metal panniers, GPS mounts, yadda yadda) actually do add to the value when you come to sell it (at least, that’s my experience in the UK…), whereas bling on your streetbike is best taken off and sold on Ebay for all the difference it makes to the value…