RIP, rook piercing

I had to take my rook piercing out today, which made me very sad.

It migrated out once before, just after I’d had it done in …. god, it must have been 1996 or so. I had it redone, though, and it’d served me well until recently. Over the last six months, the earring hadn’t been playing nice with my custom earplugs and helmet. About a month ago, I lost the bead and had to replace the earring…and it started to migrate out again.

I finally faced facts today after it hurt the whole way back from Paso Robles, so out came the earring. I may try again in a few months after the hole heals. It’s always been a painful piercing for me, though, and since I’m not about to stop wearing a helmet (or custom earplugs)…it may just be time to say goodbye to that piercing. Sigh. Nine years. It was always my favorite one, too.

With that gone and my cartilage hole closed up, I’m down to 14 piercings. Mom always said I’d get rid of them all someday… πŸ˜‰

10 Responses to RIP, rook piercing

1. Alan says:

You have 14 piercings?
    I noticed 1 in the nose and maybe a few in each ear.
    I’m not sure whether my powers of observation compare favorably with those of Mr. Magoo,
    but do I even want to know where the ones I didn’t notice are? πŸ™‚

Well, I have two in my nose, first off. πŸ˜‰

3. Alex says:

I bet their all in evil places. My roomate is the peircing guy of the household. He’s got twenty-two peircings. Ten of which are visible. He’s always complaining about migrations and whatnot, so I sort of understand your pain. Sorry to hear about it Carolyn. I suppose with where that peircing is, plus headphones/plugs, it gets a lot of rubbing when your partaking in helmet time..
    personally, I dig tattoos… one week of care, and their there forever. πŸ™‚

Oh,no!
    Will you have to change Yumi’s characture of you? πŸ˜‰
    I feel for you because you care about your piercings. I quit wearing earrings in my halcyon hockey days, but they never really meant that much to me.
    Maybe this is just an aggressive phase for the piercing and you can reopen it once you’re over the initiation abuse from the dirt biking.

5. Spike says:

HA! Is it just coincidence that when I brought up the comments for this posting you have an advertising for Body Candy jewelry? Either that is VERY ironic/humorous or maybe a sign?

What is a rook piercing?
    I’m sorry for your loss.
    When were you in Paso Robles? I was there a few days ago, briefly, in transit. πŸ˜‰

Heh. I was there on Sunday…briefly. I just wanted to get home. πŸ˜‰

Ohhh, one of those! Gottit. (Rook)

9. Janet L. says:

a new slant for you on this…Sometimes when you have a piercing directly on an acupuncture point, the point will try to reject the piercing. The earring is too stimulating for the acupuncture meridian and the body tries to naturally correct this by either trying to close the piercing or by getting infected or by rejecting it somehow. The acupuncture meridian called the triple warmer runs through the rook piercing points. This meridian controls metabolism and internal heat. While I know you are mourning the loss of your piercing, be grateful that your body knew what to do with this piercing that was probably right on an acupuncture point and possibly not good for you!