Campsite review: Mt Madonna County Park
Recommended: YES, especially weeknight or off-season
7850 Pole Line Rd
Watsonville, CA 95076
Phone: (408) 842-2341
Date of visit:
July 12-13 2008
Gorgeous! We got to the campground around 4:30pm and it was probably in the low-mid 70s. Overnight low was around 50F.
* There are 3 campgrounds at Mt Madonna: Valley Views #1, #2, and #3. We stayed at site 216 at Valley View #2.
* The campsites are very close together. On a weeknight, this would be fine; unfortunately, it was quite noisy on a Saturday night during peak camping season. Bring your earplugs!
* Each site has a fire pit, concrete parking pad, picnic table, and food locker. There are garbage cans and water faucets about ever third campsite.
* The bathrooms are clean but basic. At Valley View #2, there are 2 stalls in the women’s bathroom plus sink, shelf, and automatic hand dryer. No soap or paper towels. Note that all showers are closed until October 1, 2008 as they’re constructing a new shower building.
* Firewood is available from the ranger station when you drive in.
What to do:
(copied from the below website)
* Hikers and equestrians have access to an extensive 14 mile trail system.
* Shaded picnic areas are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
* Group picnic, group camping and youth camping areas are available by reservation.
* Bowmen may practice archery skills at the beautiful archery range.
* A one mile self-guided nature trail winds around the ruins of cattle baron Henry Miller’s summer home.
* The park’s amphitheater, available by reservation for weddings and other special functions, also features live music and slide shows Memorial Day through Labor Day. These free shows are provided by park docents every Saturday at 8 p.m.
* The park also features a visitor center where the natural history, geology and cultural history of the park is highlighted.
Santa Clara County Parks website for Mt Madonna
Along the Giant Twins hiking trail:
This entry was posted in Camping
. Bookmark the permalink