Fun with numbers

My monthly commute is 560 miles.

I average 49 mpg on my F650GS (dunno why so low). That’s 11.42 gallons a month. Assuming $3.99/gallon (regular gas), that’s $45.60/month or $547.20/year.

I no longer own a car, but using the numbers from the Saturn that I donated last August:

I averaged 25 mpg. That’s 22.4 gallons a month. Assuming $3.99/gallon, that’s $89.37/month or $1072.51/year.

So I save about $525 a year ($43/month) by riding.

Now, if I could only ride the XT to work, I’d only spend $31/month ($384/year) on gas for commuting. ๐Ÿ˜‰

9 Responses to Fun with numbers

1. Don says:

Why can’t you ride your XT? You live in Cupertino and work in Palo Alto right?
    You should’nt even need to get on the freeway with that commute.
    Don

It would take me forever to ride down El Camino or Alma/Central, sadly. I could do Stevens Creek to Foothill Expressway to El Camino, but at rush hour, ugh.

3. Tros says:

Did you ever get my email, Carolyn?

4. Durandal says:

I’d be deathly afraid to ride my XT on the freeway, and most non-freeway routes take much longer than the freeway routes. (Well, at least here in Arkansas.) However, my car can routinely get anywhere from 42-46mpg highway, so a F650GS wouldn’t be much better than my Civic. Somehow, I think the weather in California is much better than in Arkansas. Well, according to my Uncle who works at Apple, it is.

5. leftside says:

How much is annual maintenance on the GS vs. the Saturn? ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. Andy says:

My new cycle world says Kawasaki is coming out with diesel KLR. 100 MPG, I could save over $100 a month if I rode that instead of commuting in my Subaru.
    And while I will talk nice to you, I secretly hate you because you don’t own a car, while I can’t see out my office window because of a giant pile of snow. That along with the 7 months of cold weather means I can’t really get by without a car. So yes I’m jealous.

7. Steve Miller says:

I thought the F650GS got like 60-70 mpg! That’s what people on ADVRider generally claim. Maybe yours is running rich. Maybe they’re a bunch of liars (or bad at math).

8. No car, I can’t even imagine. CA life style is so different! What will you do for events that do warrant a car? You know, weddings, funerals and moving stuff?
    On the days that I used to commute on the bike I’d spend more money because I’d burn up a tank taking the long way home. It was costing $10 a day to take the bike! LOL.

>What will you do for events that do warrant a car?
    Oh, Peter still has his pickup. That’s how we get to our hockey games and how we lug around stuff.