Metcalf write-up

Here’s the Metcalf write-up. I’m sorry that there are no pictures; one of the things that really annoyed me before going to Metcalf was that I couldn’t find any photos of the place online, and now I’m helping to perpetrate this crime.

Unfortunately, there was really no way to photograph the trails. I was spending all of my time and energy trying really hard to not die, so mounting the camera on the RAM mount was out of the question. Pulling to the side of a trail was also right out, as I needed to keep up momentum.

Maybe after going a couple of times, I’ll be more comfortable and can risk some on-board shots. Yesterday, though, there was no way I was taking one hand off the bars. πŸ˜‰

This entry was posted in Rides, XT225. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Metcalf write-up

1. glenn1you0 says:

Here’s a weird piece of synchronicity. I use an RSS aggregator to keep track of a number of blogs, and here are the top two entries:
    2005-03-13 14:56:11 — Metcalf write-up
    Since my day yesterday can be neatly divided into two sections, I’m doing just that. Here’s the Metcalf write-up. I’m sorry that there are no pictures; one of the things that really annoyed me before going to Metcalf was that…
    2005-03-13 14:37:57 — Metcalfe’s Law broken
    Bob Metcalfe’s “law” that the value of networks grows quadratically relative to the number of members in the network is refuted….
    How strange!

Hee! That is a fun coincidence. πŸ™‚

3. tony says:

Wow, sounds like great fun. Brings back a lot of memories of ripping around the farm back in Ohio when I was a kid. Oh damn you Carolyn, don’t make me get *another* bike. My marriage hangs in the balance! πŸ˜‰

4. You could invest in a helmet cam.

5. Dave says:

Your trip sounds almost exactly like my first foray into dual-sporting. There’s a small park north of Flint, Michigan that also attracts motocrossers and ATVs. I rode a Yamaha TW200 the 65 miles there and discovered what seemed to be huge whoops and deep, sandy ruts. I proceeded to wear myself completely out in an hour or two, dropping the TW every 5 or 10 minutes. I had no idea how a person could ever hope to maintain some semblance of control and dignity in the dirt. It just took practice, to say nothing of a better bike. Good luck in your next outing.

6. Jamie says:

I’ve been wanting to take the KLR there… when do you want to go? πŸ™‚

Hey cool! The cookie here finally remembers me.
    You have a publishable, well-written article here, especially the bit about popcorn. πŸ˜‰